Soccer News
Transfer News

Newcastle ‘to target Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha’ if £300m Saudi takeover is completed

Wilfried Zaha will reportedly be a transfer target for Newcastle if their £300million Saudi takeover goes through.

The Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF), which is led by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, is close to buying the Magpies off incumbent owner Mike Ashley.

Wilfried Zaha is valued at around £80million by Crystal Palace
Rex Features

Edinson Cavani, Donny van de Beek and Nabil Fekir have been listed as potential targets for Newcastle’s prospective owners with a huge rebuild expected.

And The Sun say Crystal Palace star Zaha is another big name on their transfer wish list.

Zaha, who is valued at around £80m by Palace chiefs, almost left Selhurst Park for Everton last summer.

However, the Eagles rejected a bid in the region of £55m as they kept hold of their star man.

Arsenal have also shown a strong interest in Zaha, with former Gunners boss Unai Emery revealing he wanted to sign the 27-year-old instead of Nicolas Pepe, who cost the club £72m last summer.

Former Arsenal boss Unai Emery wanted to sign Wilfried Zaha last year
Getty Images – Getty

Emery said: “I told them, ’this is the player I know and want.’ I met Zaha and he wanted to come.

“The club decided Pepe was one for the future. I said, ‘yes, but we need to win now and this lad wins games.’ He beat us on his own.

“It’s also true he was expensive and Palace didn’t want to sell. There were a series of decisions that had repercussions.”

Despite scoring just three goals in 29 Premier League appearances this season, Zaha has been one of Palace’s most consistent players for many years.

Roy Hodgson’s side were sitting comfortably in 11th place in the Premier League table before the coronavirus pandemic brought top-flight football to a halt in March.


Related posts

DEAN DEAL Man Utd may recall Dean Henderson from Sheff Utd transfer loan on July 1 and make him No2 for rest of season

admin

Begovic ‘would welcome Milan stay’

admin

De Laurentiis warns Everton ‘buzzards’ star Napoli man is not for sale

admin

Leave a Comment